Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It's so weird to write 2010




It is just too weird to write a whole different year on my checks, at work, or just SEE IT and realize, DAMN! It's a whole other decade, again!
Last year was quite a year for me. Lots of really great things happened. It's too much to sum up in a blog and probably too boring for anyone to read....so I'll just skip most of the
details and focus on running, which is what this blog is really about anyway; running with 4 Muddy Paws!
Last year in running for me was very busy and very satisfying. I started counting the races I did last year and came up with 13 races. I am counting the unfortunate DNF at White River. As the year progressed I was pleasantly surprised at how much I was able to run and pleasantly surprised that I did not burn out. There were some bumps in the road mostly due to undiagnosed and untreated asthma which lead to by DNF at White River and my very unpleasant trip to the med tent at the Seattle Marathon at the finish. I was determined to finish that marathon and ultimately realized maybe I should have reconsidered that goal due to the consequences of running with asthma. Nevertheless, the highlights of 2009 are running my first 100 miler and pacing at another 100 miler and getting some PR's. But when all was said and done with all the ups and downs, what I am most looking forward to in 2010 is not just doing some races but doing some epic runs such as the Wonderland Trail, the Grand Canyon and Mt. St. Helens. I have realized that being in shape to run a long ways does not always equate to which race I could do but instead appreciating my fitness and running for the pleasure of running through the mountains, around the mountains and with good friends.
I'm starting off the year running Bandera 100k in Bandera, Tx. I'm looking forward to it and my brother might even run the last 5 miles with me. He is worried he won't be able to keep up. I assured him that after 55+ miles, he can surely keep up. I'm excited to start the year, the DECADE, running in an entirely new place. Who knows how many ultras I have in me, gotta make these count on all levels.


No comments: