Sunday, November 8, 2009

The First Stormy Weekend of the Season


When I was a kid, my mother told me you can tell how far away a storm is by counting the seconds in between the lightening and thunder. I also remember this from the movie Poltergeist. This weekend there was lots of thunder and lightening and rain and wind. Lots of wind! Lots of rain! And more thunder and lightening than I have ever experienced in the 16 years I have lived in Seattle. Poor Struth was scared. And when Struth is scared, he doesn't hide, he barks and barks and barks. So it was a loud weekend at times at home.

But as luck would have it, I had 2 perfect runs. The first I managed to hit the weather on the mark. I seemed to have picked the perfect hour for running. It did not rain and it was warm enough. Gloves and hat and vest and no complaints. The second I managed a 2 hour run with no rain. It was plenty windy alright. Even if I was able to talk, literally, the wind would have prevented me from projecting anything audible. It's like you open your mouth to say something and literally, the wind blows it back inside. However, I was trying so hard to keep up with Owen on the run that I could not talk anyway. He was putting the hurt on me and I was responding as best as I could. In the end, I was able to keep up with him. I was a zombie for about 3 hours afterward, but it was worth it. I managed to keep it together to do grocery shopping and make a delicious potato and leek soup with homemade biscuits. I was asleep by 11 PM though.....what can I say, I'm not 21 anymore.



No comments: