Friday, April 10, 2009

Heavy Legs


Well, just less than a week of logging lots of miles to go before I start to shut it down as Miwok approaches. My legs are HEAVY...between running and cross training, I feel like my legs weigh as much as an elephant's but I only have my strength to pick them up and move then from step to step. At times, it really makes me laugh. But it's right where I should be at this point in training for Miwok, so it's all fine by me.
I'm really excited about Miwok. It's going to be beautiful, it's going to be warm, (I hope) and I will get to see a great friend from childhood while I am down there. I am excited about running this distance, it is the longest I will have ever gone. So I am venturing to where ALM has never been before....

On Monday, Owen and I attempted 12 summits at Tiger Mt. I was really looking forward to it. It was about 70*, 12 summits is an excellent training run, I was well stocked with food and water and dog biscuits. Gradually, we started to hit some snow. Well, after about an hour and a half, we were breaking trail and post-holing it in about 2-3 feet of snow. The trail was getting harder and harder to find and we were getting cut up on our ankles and shins from the crusty snow. I can only imagine how the dogs were coping. Even though they never complain, I am sure they couldn't have been too happy to sink down pretty low with every step they took. And I am sure eventually, their paws would have been bloody. We opted to turn around and head back.

With only a few hours on our feet, we decided to get in some miles at Cougar, which was snow-less, mud-less and beautiful. Although I felt terrible while running, my spirits were pretty high knowing that the warmer weather and the sun are coming..... finally!

No comments: