Friday, March 23, 2012

The Effects of a Taper

ta·per  /ˈteɪpər/
verb (used without object)

1. to become smaller or thinner toward one end.

2. to grow gradually lean.

Adverb (used with object)

3. to make gradually smaller toward one end.

4. to reduce gradually.

Above is the definition of taper.  Let's go through and see how accurate these so called definitions are;
1) to become smaller or thinner at one end____if you are talking about candles or pants, that makes sense.  If you are talking about a person "tapering" for a sporting event, like myself, that makes no sense.  I simply have not gotten and thinner at either end....especially the REAR end. 
2) to grow gradually lean_____again, if you are talking about candles or pants, this makes sense.  But with regards to me, no I have not become any leaner, thanks to my love for baking and eating.....
3) this is too similar to the first 2 definitions so DITTO...to #1 and #2.
4) to reduce gradually.  Ok, this could touch upon my situation here tapering for Umstead, I am gradually reducing my running and workouts.  However, what it doesn't say in there are the some of these definitions:\
 
A) TO FEEL CRAZY


B) TO FEEL LIKE YOU'RE BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS


C) TO FEEL CRAZY

D) TO FEEL LIKE YOU SHOULD RUN AROUND IN CIRCLES FOR AN HOUR OR SO


But seriously....I am feeling quite energetic and contained at the same time.  My mind is going nuts at work like I have no attention span.  I **feel** like I won't be able to fall asleep at night yet I am asleep in less than 1 minutes after my head hits the pillow.  I am getting 8 hours of sleep and WOW, it IS true what they say about getting proper amounts of sleep.  I feel human again. 

This has been a fun journey, I look forward to see what I have learned this far (and paid attention to enough to make changes) and what I need to further learn.  

3 comments:

Olga said...

Cracked me up on #1 (and 3) - my first reaction/response, exactly! Enjoy Umstead, girl!

Sara said...

All signs you are READY! So excited for you. I feel a stellar race coming on!! Have fun out there. PS How'd you get that pic of Lola? ;)

Olga said...

Awesome run, girl!!! Wow, strong closing! Where is the story??