Friday, February 11, 2011

The Boxing Gym


Last night I decided to try something different.  I love running but sometimes I just need a good hard fast workout.  There is a boxing gym down the street from me; Cappy's Gym (http://www.cappysgym.com/), and I decided to check it out.  I had a blast!  It was an hour workout with plymetrics and boxing with the punching bag.  When I felt I was getting tired, I thought of some of the people who I have to report to in Miami for my job who really irritate me and I noticed that I punched harder, thus getting a better workout.  If only they knew I was thinking of them as I smashed the heavy bag with all my might.  I thought I would be really sore today but actually, I don't feel all that bad.  My back is a bit tight and some muscle in my arm, who knows which one, is noticeable today.  I can hardly wait to go back.  I have a feeling that DOMS might set in tomorrow but we'll see.  I actually like feeling a bit sore, makes me realise that I did something and if I recover right, I will get stronger.  I learned what a "jab" is used for and layed a few "hooks" on the bag.  Maybe this will be my new sport.....who knows!  I can only imagine how much training a boxer has to do preparing for a fight.  Not only that, there's a lot of technique involved that I have not even figured out.  I kept forgetting to keep a glove up to protect my face from my (invisible) opponent.  Then there was this little bag that when I hit it, it would fly back at me so I had to dodge that bullet.  That was a lesson in agility and quick twitch muscles that I already knew I didn't have.  At the end of the class, I had worked up quite a sweat.  I'm excited to go back! 

No comments: